La Verne, California

La Verne, California

Monday, December 2, 2013

The La Verne "L"

   During my years as a bus driver for Bonita Unified School District I enjoyed pointing out various landmarks and relating some historical background. I knew that most of the time this fell on deaf ears but some of the kids had a genuine interest.
   One of my favorite objects was the "L" on a hill North of La Verne that can be seen from a wide variety of locations in the valley. If the snow elevation has dropped and the clouds have lifted, the large letter is especially visable.
   This letter was fashioned out of the hillside by La Verne College students in the Spring of 1919 and for many years was maintained by students making an annual trek to clear the brush off of its surface. Here is a copy of the article from the 1919 La Verne College Orange Blossom yearbook telling of the adventures of the students who laid out this symbol that has rested in the foothills for almost 95 years. Below that is a photo I took from my home on Arrow Highway on January 26, 2008:



2 comments:

  1. Does anyone know the elevation of the "L". It would be a great help in determining the "snow level" for us here below.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks to be about 4,800 feet from Google Earth

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for future posts.